Hewn November News 2018
Hewn News – November 2018
The Heritage Baking cookbook tour is officially under way! As I write this, we are currently in Boston, Massachusetts. Today at noon, Ellen did a demo and book signing at the Northeastern University Test Kitchen. Tonight at 7pm she will be speaking at Wellesley Books about the cookbook and the heritage grains movement with Maria Speck, Christy Timon and Amber Lambke from Maine Grains. This promises to be a lively and engaging conversation…if you know family and friends in the Boston area, please spread the word about this event!
And, please mark your calendars for Ellen’s FAN presentation this upcoming Monday, November 5th, 7pm at New Trier High School’s Northfield Campus. Ellen will be discussing Heritage Baking and the path that led to the creation of Hewn. Samples will be served and Ellen will sign books as well. We hope to see you there!
We had several wonderful book events last week. Our book launch party at Peckish Pig was a great way to thank the many people – staff, friends and family – who helped make Heritage Baking a reality. Thank you to Debbie Evans, the talented owner/chef of the Peckish Pig for your hospitality!
Many thanks also to Read It And Eat and Andersons Bookshop for hosting Ellen and helping promote the book. Anderson’s was a homecoming for Ellen, as she grew up in Naperville. We welcomed several old friends from her childhood, including her AP History teacher, Mrs. Lee, who had a profound impact on Ellen’s life and inspired her love of history.
The Book Tour Continues….
November Book Events
- Smithsonian Food History Weekend, Washington DC, Saturday, November 3rd, 10:30 am. Presentation and book signing
- FAN (Family Action Network) presentation, Monday, November 5th, 7pm. New Trier West, 7 Happ Rd., Northfield, IL
- Vaucluse Media Luncheon, Friday, November 16th, NYC; time TBA
- Vaucluse Cooking class, Saturday, November 17th, NYC, 11am-1pm. To register click here.
- Bookends and Beginnings Small Business Saturday event, Evanston IL., Saturday November 24th; Time TBA
- Friends and Family restaurant event, book signing, Tuesday, November 27th, Los Angeles, CA.
- Gourmandise School demo and tasting event, Santa Monica, CA, 9:00 am; November 28th
- Now Serving LA, book event, November 28th, 7:30pm
- Seattle Culinary Academy Panel Discussion, November 29th, 4-5:30pm
- Book Larder, book event, November 29th, discussion and signing, Seattle WA, 6:30pm
Plan ahead! We begin taking Thanksgiving orders today, Thursday November 1st! Don’t miss out on reserving your Hewn goods for the holiday. This year we have a few new items, including Pithiviers and Pumpkin Pound cakes.
Thanksgiving is also pie season at the bakery and this year we will offer Pumpkin and FEW Bourbon Pecan pies. Our bread offerings will include six different options along with our ever popular dinner rolls. And, Take and Bake Morning Buns – a Hewn holiday staple – are on the menu as well. Impress your family and friends with the fantastic smell of morning buns in your kitchen Thanksgiving morning!
Please note the following regarding Thanksgiving Orders:
All orders must be placed by 5pm Friday November 16th and all orders must be paid for prior to pick up. Orders can be placed in person at the store or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Orders placed through email and paid online with a credit card will be charged a 3% processing fee. A full selection of bread and pastries will be available the Tuesday and Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Come early for best selection as we will not be able to set anything aside on those two days other than what is pre-ordered and paid for on the order sheet.
We will be CLOSED Thanksgiving Day and Friday, November 23rd to allow our staff some well deserved time off. We will re-open at 8am Saturday, November 24th.
To download the Thanksgiving order form, click here.
We need your help! If you have purchased Heritage Baking, please consider writing a review of the book on either the Amazon or Barnes and Noble websites. The more people who review the book the better! Thanks in advance for your help.
For several years we have spoken about our mission to source our ingredients locally. Now, our customers can clearly see and know our partners. Our very own talented artist on staff, Hannah Ross, created this beautiful menu board highlighting the many small, local businesses we work with at Hewn. If you haven’t seen it yet at the store, here is a sneak peek!
Please welcome our new wholesale partners:
Hewn in the News:
- Ellen appeared on WGN’s “Lunchbreak” segment during the Midday News broadcast last Wednesday, October 24th. To see the segment click here
- Episode 10 of the Modernist Bread Crumbs Podcast, “The Grain Revolution” is now available on Heritage Radio. Listen wherever you get your podcasts, or click here.
- Cynthia LeJeune Nobles did a review of Heritage Baking for the NY Journal of Books. To read the review, click here.
- The Boston Globe included the upcoming Heritage Baking event at Wellesley Books in its “Greater Boston author readings Oct.28-Nov. 3″ round-up
- Baking Business featured Heritage Baking in the article, “Appreciating the value of heritage grains.”
- The November 2018 issue of Wine Enthusiast highlights Heritage Baking and the herbed dinner rolls recipe.
- The Herald Palladium featured Heritage Baking in a piece discussing heritage wheat. In addition, the piece also included a recipe for heritage corn and berry muffins.
- Dining Out Chicago Magazine highlighted Hewn’s dinner rolls in a recipe feature for the fall/winter 2018 issue. The piece also included information on the upcoming launch of Heritage Baking.
That’s all for now. We hope to see you at the FAN event this Monday! Thanks for your continued support of Hewn.
Ellen, Julie and the Hewn crew